Gardens across London are hosting a range of activities on Saturday 9 July to celebrate wellbeing in gardens, from foraging tours, to mindfulness sessions, to herbal workshops. Capital Growth newest city-wide open day is all about the many ways gardening can benefit health and well-being, and to offer opportunities and activities to engage with growing food in the city.
Check out the full list of what’s happening!
1. The Castle Garden 12.00-17.00 The Castle Climbing Centre, Green Lanes, N4 2HA
Yoga (for adults and kids), Arts and crafts area, Garden mindfulness and meditation sessions, Singing, Grow well compost workshop, Garden Fit workshop 14:00-16:30, (advanced tickets required). Plus there'll be garden herb teas, juices and wood fired pizzas for purchase from 12:00 - 15:00.
2. Ravenscourt Glasshouses 12.00-16.00 Ravenscourt Park, W6 0UL
Pop-up yoga 12-1 (£5), Workshops focusing on the properties of herbs, including simple remedies and teas. Tours of the garden site taking place throughout the day too.
3. Growing Health Garden 12.00-15.30 Queensbridge Sports and Community Center, 30 Holly St, E8 3XW
Coffee morning and garden activites in the morning, Workshop on how to grow food on your balcony in the afternoon
4. Maryon Park Community Garden 13.00-16.00 The Old Nursery, Maryon Park, Maryon Road, Charlton, SE7 8DH
Outdoor art taster sessions (running at 13.00, 14.00 and 15.00) run by Simon Woodward from COATS. Tours of the garden given between 13.00-16.00, and talks on community growing by the garden coordinator.
5. Newham Community Garden 12.00-18.00
Mayors Newham Show, Central Park East Ham, E6
Mini Gardening Zone for families activities, planting seeds, crafts, Vegetable and herb sensory box, Harvest tasting. Tours of local Gardening Thymes Community Garden.
6. Mind in Bexley 10.30-14.00 240a Broadway, Bexleyheath, DA6 8AS
Workshop on nutrition & benefits of growing your own, How to make your own herbal tea, Explore the bug house, Mindfulness session in the garden at 12:00. Plus fresh fruit and veg will be available, and hear about our new community café
7. Oasis Farm Waterloo 12.00-17.00 18 Carlisle Lane, SE1 7LG
Healthy horticulture & wellbeing activities, including yoga and gong bath. Farm tours, Fresh cooking demos, Visual artists will offer activities and sell their work
**8. Regent's Park Allotment Garden ** 10.00-15.30 The Regent’s Park, NW1 4NR
Healing Plant Trail showing physical and mental benefits of different plants in the garden. Self-guided mindfulness walk.
9. Spitalfields City Farm 13:30-15:50 SUNDAY 10 JULY Buxton Street, E1 5AR
Crafty Tea' Session: Come along to taste herbal teas and learn about their health benefits, while making a lavendar and hop pillow to take away. As part of our Harvest Hands Project this herbal workshop is aimed at older people.
10. Loughborough Farm 13:00-15:00 Loughborough Rd, SW9 7EL, (opposite Wyck Gardens)
Healthy garden activities on offer during volunteer sessions, guided by experienced growers. Learn to propagate and harvest herbs, and experiment with herbal tea blends. Help power up our batteries whilst getting fit on our homemade wind/pedal turbine!
11. The Larks Time TBC 113 Gaskell Street, SW4 6PB
Workshop of growing herbs, including garden design, plant care and harvesting.
12. Dalston Eastern Curve 14.00-17.00 13 Dalston Lane, E8 3DF
Tasty Herbs Afternoon: Join our weekly volunteer group exploring the many herbs and salad leaves we grow. In hands on sessions, learn how to grow herbs at home even in small spaces, find out which ones are good for the bees and the butterflies, and get to know the many health benefits of herbs, with special tea-tastings throughout this flavour-filled afternoon.
13. Lend and Tend 10:00-14:00 Top Deck, Fairfield Halls NCP Car Park, Hazeldean Road, CR0 5LA
There will be a stretching/ yoga/ meditation session, a storytelling session, a container building workshop, a gardeners talking circle, a no-dig gardening how-to session, a gardensharing meet and greet, and GYO food on offer.
14. Plantastic Prescription Garden 11:00-16:00 95-97 Groveway, Dagenham, RM8 3XL
Join in on two foraging tours, from 11:00-13:00 or 14:00-16:00, with a group lunch break during the break between tours from 13:00 - 14:00. Tours will include a history of the site, plant identification and plenty of time for Q&A.